March 13, 2020
RE: COVID-19 (Corona Virus) USD 234 District Update
The health and safety of our students, staff, and community are important to our district.
Our administrative team wants to make sure everyone in our district is informed about our procedures related to COVID-19. The USD 234 Board of Education will take guidance from the SEK Multi-County Health Department, the Kansas Department of Health & Environment, the Governor of the State of Kansas, and the Kansas Commissioner of Education.
If the Kansas Department of Health and Environment (KDHE) directs us to close our school buildings because of the coronavirus (14 day minimum), the district has three options:
- Make up the missed time prior to June 30.
- Submit a proposal to KSDE for online learning that can be counted as time in school. There are specific requirements on this, and they will be difficult to meet, according to the Kansas State Commissioner of Education, Dr. Randy Watson.
- Submit to Dr. Watson and the State Board of Education to waive the legally required number of days and hours that school must be in session.
Other current guidance from KDHE for school operations as students return from spring break includes the following:
Thresholds for events and school attendance
- Current guidance is to allow gatherings of up to 100 people. Gatherings of more than 100 people should be avoided.
- Interactions with others where a 6-foot perimeter between individuals is not maintained should last no longer than 10 minutes.
- Classroom sizes should be limited based on the size of the classroom and the ability to provide 6-foot spacing between each person in the room.
- Cafeterias should limit the number of individuals being served based on the ability to provide 6-foot spacing between each person.
- Wipe down surfaces between class changes – or engage students to help before being released.
For full details visit:
District administrators and personnel will be meeting Wednesday, March 18, to consider any plans regarding the school day and USD 234 calendar events based on guidance from KDHE. We will share more information as it becomes available.
Fort Scott Schools