I hope everyone is enjoying their summer. School is just around the corner and I wanted to share some pertinent information with our stakeholders.
ESY and Summer School:
ESY and Summer School will start on Tuesday, July 20. Below is the schedule for these learning opportunities:
- Monday - Friday (July 20 - August 6)
- Preschool - 8:00 - 11:00 at Preschool
- Jumpstart - @ Winfield Scott - 8:00 to 11:00
- Primary (K-2) - @ Middle School - 8:00 - 10:00
- Intermediate (3-5) @ Middle School - 10:00 - 12:00
- MS - @ Middle School - 8:00 - 12:00
- HS @ Middle School - 8:00 - 12:00 (credit recovery)
For the students who were invited and plan to attend ESY or Summer School, you can contact your child's building on Monday, July 19, to answer any of your questions. Transportation and Food Service will be provided during ESY and Summer School. Please see the attached flyer for more information about Food Service.
ESY and Summer School Mitigation Protocols:
For students and staff who are attending, it is recommended, not mandated, that unvaccinated students and staff wear a mask when in a school building or on a school bus when social distance (six feet) cannot not be achieved. We will continue with frequent hand washing and sanitizing. We will also continue to follow the quarantine and isolation protocols as updated below:
- High-risk Contact: An unvaccinated individual with unmitigated exposure such as unmasked, social exposure, home exposure, or other exposure outside of the school setting, and as determined by the health officer or designated official.
- Low-risk Contact: Mitigated exposure (vaccinated, mask in place, appropriate hand/washing/sanitization) and casual contact while at school, as determined by school officials and verified by health officers, with mitigation protocols in place.
If students and staff are not feeling well, they need to stay home and not come to school.
Mitigation protocols for the 2021 - 2022 school year will be discussed and approved by the USD 234 School Board at the August board meeting.
2021-2022 Academic Calendar:
Attached is the district academic calendar for the 2021-2022 school year. School starts August 19 for students.
- Online enrollment will open on July 20. Attached are instructions for how to enroll online.
- In-person enrollment will be available Monday, August 2 from 8:00 am - 6:00 pm. In-person enrollment will take place in the building where your child will attend. Specific information for in-person enrollment will be provided by the buildings at a later date.
EW Principal Update:
At the July Board meeting, the USD 234 School Board approved Yasmina Query as the building principal for Eugene Ware Elementary for the 2021-2022 school year. Mrs. Query has been a fourth grade teacher at Eugene Ware the past 5 years and has 14 years of teaching experience at the elementary level.
Middle School and High School Band Instructor:
Also at the July Board meeting, Justin Robinson was approved as the middle and high school band instructor. Mr. Robinson comes to our district having taught vocal and band for 18 years.
High School Open Lunch:
The USD 234 School Board also approved that the high school offers open lunch for the 2021-2022 school year. Open lunch will be incentive based, with the high school administrators sharing details at a later date. Open lunch will not be available for Freshman (this was in place prior to COVID).
Kansans Can Success Tour:
USD 234 is excited to host a stop on the Kansas Department of Education's Kansans Can Success Tour here in Fort Scott. Dr. Randy Watson, the Commissioner of Education, and Dr. Brad Neueswander, Deputy Commissioner of Education, will be in Fort Scott to gather feedback from a variety of area education stakeholders which includes parents and business leaders to find out how Kansas schools are leading in the success of Kansas students. The tour stop will be on Monday, August 16, at the River Room (located above Luther's Restaurant) from 6:00 - 7:30 p.m.There is no registration for this event.
USD 234 District Theme for 2021-2022 School Year:
The theme for the 2021-2022 school year is FOCUS ON LEARNING! Coming off the 2020-2021 school year, it will be a priority of the school district to Focus on Learning to help students succeed in the classroom.
Enjoy the rest of your summer and we look forward to having students back in our buildings soon. #TigerPride #GBR
Fort Scott School District
"The best kind of PRIDE is that which compels a person to do their best when no one is watching."